We all those have days/weeks/months where we wish we had more time to work out. In a perfect world, we’d each have an hour a day that was blocked off and always available to us for sweat sessions to help us take care of our bodies and decompress.
But the world we live in— sadly— is not that perfect. Sometimes you just have to do the best you can with what you got…even if that’s just a few minutes a day.
The good news is that every little bit counts. It may not be a solid hour and it may not be as intense as you’d like it to be, but there are actually—last I checked— 24 hours in the day and each one of these hours is a chance to get a little more fit and a little healthier.
So instead of getting frustrated or beating yourself up when you can’t get your regular workout in, here’s a few tips for those times when stuff happens.
- Break it up. There’s actually no rule that says that workouts have to be done in one daily dose. Break it up into manageable chunks and sprinkle it throughout your day. 15 minutes here, 15 minutes there and before you know it, you’ve managed to get it in without even noticing.
- Hit the playground with the kids. While the kids are running around the playground, don’t just sit there and dream about the days when you had time to work out— get up and do it! The playground is the perfect place to work out outdoors. Need some ideas? Try this…or this…or even this.
- Fit and fun happy hour. The next time your friends are itching to plan a happy hour, take it outside and have some fun with it! Head to the local park for some ultimate Frisbee, tennis, volleyball, horseshoes, or whatever suits your group. Socialize, have fun, and get fit all at the same time.
- Get it in first thing in the morning. One of the easiest ways to keep life from getting in the way of your workouts is to do it first thing in the morning. Don’t think you have time? While you’re waiting for the coffee to brew, try this…or this…or even this.
- Take a fit lunch break. Rather than eating your lunch while sitting at your desk and working, step away from the screen and take this chance to de-stress, get some fresh air, and get your sweat on. Whether you go to a local gym or just walk around outside the office building, odds are this mini-break will boost your energy and productivity as you head into the afternoon hours.
- Take your conversations on the road. Need to catch up with your mom or a friend, grab that person— or your cell phone— and get moving. Instead of just sitting there carrying on your conversation, go for a run or walk. Multi-tasking at its fittest.
- Just get up and move. Seriously though, it doesn’t have to be regimented or complicated— movement is movement. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park your car further away. Walk or bike your errands. Use a smaller water bottle at the office that requires you to get up to fill more frequently. Don’t call your colleagues who sit a few feet away, get up and go visit them face-to-face. Take phone calls standing up. Walk to the copier and make your own copies. Just move more.
Is it time to do some spring cleaning on your workout routines? You can find us on iTunes and Amazon Prime, and you’ll get your first 100 days of AcaciaTV fitness for free by using the code tryacacia4free.